Le Deal du moment : -21%
LEGO® Icons 10329 Les Plantes Miniatures, ...
Voir le deal
39.59 €

Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon

3 participants

Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon Empty Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon

Message par sourdough Sam 14 Sep 2019 - 22:07

Hello!

I recently purchased a new Uberti Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon here in the US for a very good price. I like this model better than any other Model Dragoon primarily because of the grip shape which is similar to the Walker.

The longer "slim-jim" grip works better to control recoil as opposed to the shorter grip frame on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Models.

The original Colt Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon used up whatever Walker frames were leftover from the Walker production made by Whitney, and did not have the trigger and bolt screw ends showing on the right side of the frame. Uberti at one time made one, as evidenced by a stock photo still on Uberti's website. If you folks in France/Europe can obtain one of these, please do so. They are non-existent in the US:

Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon Uberti-Whitneyville-Dragoon001

Although not as heavy as the Walker, it is still a big, heavy revolver at 4 lbs.-2 oz. It dwarfs my 1851 Navies and 1860 Armies. It is no wonder that Colt decided to create a .44 caliber revolver (the 1860 Army) based upon the 1851 Navy frame. The ones Uberti sells these days have both of those screw ends showing on the right side of the frame. I think it just may be a matter of economics to just drill the screw holes through, but Uberti still produces a Walker like the original, so I have no idea what they are doing.

My revolver:

Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon Uberti-Whitneyville-001

Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon Uberti-Whitneyville-002

Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon Uberti-Whitneyville-003

Thanks for viewing!

Regards,

Jim
sourdough
sourdough
R.I.P.

Arme favorite : 1851 Navy .36
Shoot : 2870
Kill : 18

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon Empty Re: Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon

Message par lakota Dim 15 Sep 2019 - 8:26

What a beast!
I had always prefered the elegance of the 1860 model,but the Dragoon is definitely a piece of history.
Thank you for this presentation.

Sheriff adjoint
Sheriff adjoint

Arme favorite : Colt Army 1860
Shoot : 8104
Kill : 137

Message par Chewie Dim 15 Sep 2019 - 18:51

Salut Surdough,

C'est mon modèle 1848 préféré (même si c'est plutôt une production de transition dans l'urgence de la fin de la guerre qu'un réel "modèle").

Il a en effet une ligne plus légère que le 1847, tout en gardant un côté imposant que n'ont pas les trois autres modèles 1848.

C'est un produit rare parce que l'original est méconnu. C'est toutefois du standard catalogue chez le fabricant :

https://www.ubertireplicas.com/product/1848-dragoon-whitneyville/

N'importe quel distributeur doit être en mesure d'en commander un pour un client US, surtout qu'Uberti fait 80% de son beurre aux USA et est tout de même connu pour privilégier ses clients américains.

Sheriff
Sheriff

Arme favorite : Colt 1860 Army
Shoot : 8177
Kill : 282

Message par sourdough Dim 15 Sep 2019 - 21:51

Chewie,

First, I must apologize for my lack of knowledge of the French language. My family's ancestry is German/Polish so I took two years of German language education in high school as my grandparents spoke German quite often when they thought I did not know what they were saying.

I rely on a Google translation app in order to read all of your forum posts in that are in French. It is not perfect but I can get the gist of what you folks say.

Translation of your post:

Hi Surdough,

This is my favorite 1848 model (although it is more of a transitional production in the urgency of the end of the war than a real "model").

It has indeed a lighter line than the 1847, while keeping an imposing side that do not have the other three models 1848.

It is a rare product because the original is unknown. However, it is the manufacturer's standard catalog:

https://www.ubertireplicas.com/product/1848-dragoon-whitneyville/

Any distributor must be able to order one for a US customer, especially since 'Uberti makes 80% of its butter in the USA and is still known to favor its American customers.

To some extent, I agree, but the Uberti site that you cite is not valid in the US. I have emailed Uberti at the Italian site, am referred to the Uberti USA site, and the primary purveyor of Uberti guns in the US is Taylor's.

The photo that I posted with no screw ends on the right side of the frame has been used by Taylor's for quite a while, but when I asked them about it they took the photo down and replaced it with one that they offer for sale.

The fact is that we cannot attain one here in the US, other than a possible specimen on the used gun market.

Lakota: I enjoyed your first words "What a beast!" Yes it is! I can see why these guns were primarily carried in holsters draped across a horse saddle pommel by cavalry, hence the term "horse pistols". They were far too large to be carried by a man on his person for any length of time. That is where your favorite 1860 Army fits well.

Thank you all for the kind treatment!

Regards,

Jim
sourdough
sourdough
R.I.P.

Message par Chewie Dim 15 Sep 2019 - 22:40

Hi Surdough.

My apologies. I've gone through your post too quickly. Did not get at first ypu were talking about a screw variation.

Sheriff
Sheriff

Arme favorite : Colt 1860 Army
Shoot : 8177
Kill : 282

Message par sourdough Ven 20 Sep 2019 - 0:09

Hello again!

Well, I found one on a US based gun auction site named Gun Brokers.

Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon GB-Dragoon

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/829110516

I think the seller is asking a fair price for it, but it is described wrongly. The seller is also insisting upon shipping it only to an FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder. US Federal law considers BP guns as "non-firearms" and can legally be shipped via USPS (mail), UPS (United Parcel Service), or FedEx (Federal Express) directly to my home. The nearest FFL holder is 60+ miles from my home, so I would have to spend gas money to first get a copy of the receiving FFL license, and then make another trip to the FFL holder to receive it and pay the transfer fees. In total, that makes it a $550+ gun.

Clearly, not worth it in my mind. So I will wait until another one possibly is offered.

Regards,

Jim
sourdough
sourdough
R.I.P.

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé